Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Speaking of the look of film

Camera shake. I love it. Realism cannot be created so greaty as when you make the camera one of the characters in your film. It goes beyond Point of View shots. I like to call it, for lack of a better term, camera shake.

I don't know if its the shutter speed or what, but sometimes, things just look way more believable in this viewpoint. You really feel like you are there. It is something that is much more difficult to describe than to actually see. If you see it, you will understand.

The film look for the movies I have just sampled is a very gritty, earthy, feel of realism. Less color, almost monochromatic...but I like it. I feel like I am there, like I am observing the story from their point of view. The look of Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, and Saints and Soldiers, to name a few, is outstanding.



It is art, and that is what I want my stuff to look like (eventually). This is the kind of film that is inspiring.

No comments: